[FFmpeg-devel] Question regarding adjusting FATE test

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Jul 21 11:57:28 CEST 2013

Le tridi 3 thermidor, an CCXXI, Bernie Habermeier a écrit :
> I'd like to submit a patch that implements CueRelativePosition for
> matroska.  But given that it changes the output video file, I believe the
> FATE test for fate-lavf-mkv breaks, given it's no longer byte identical:

Indeed.

> To submit the patch, would I simply change the tests/data/lavf/lavf.mkv
> file and check that in so that it becomes the new file that now includes
> the CueRelativePosition along with the patch?

The way I proceed when I do a change that alter output files:

- Run FATE, see it fail.

- Look at the output file very carefully to see if the changes are exactly
  as intended.

- Copy-paste the updated result from FATE diff output to the ref file.

Note that tests/data/lavf/lavf.mkv is only a temporary file used by the
tests. The actual files are shown in the diff update:

> TEST    lavf-mkv
> --- ./tests/ref/lavf/mkv	2013-07-17 11:12:48.000000000 -0700
> +++ tests/data/fate/lavf-mkv	2013-07-21 02:25:47.000000000 -0700

tests/data/fate/lavf-mkv is also a temporary file (like everything in
tests/data, in fact). The actual file is ./tests/ref/lavf/mkv (ref as in
reference); that is the one you need to update in the same commit as the
change.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George