[FFmpeg-devel] Does vlc use ffmpeg

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Jul 26 17:09:05 CEST 2013

On 26 Jul, Smirnov eugene wrote :
> https://github.com/videolan/vlc/blob/master/contrib/src/ffmpeg/rules.mak

This is not VLC repo.

> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=snapshot;h=$(HASH);sf=tgz
> FFMPEG_SNAPURL := http://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=snapshot;h=$(HASH);sf=tgz

As you can see both are present. Every maintainer can change it as he
wants, if one does rebuild the contrib system with our scripts, which is
quite rare, tbh.

Moreover, we keep compatibility with both libav and FFmpeg and test
both. (We don't have any choice, tbh, because of multiple
distributions).

Finally, we don't distribute any binaries, except Windows and Mac, since
Linux distributions do them, except SuSE, that we distribute, where it DOES
use FFMpeg:
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/12.3/x86_64/ffmpeg-1.0.1-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734