[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2013

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 00:16:37 CET 2013

On date Thursday 2013-02-21 21:48:23 -0900, Lou Logan encoded:
> Hello*,
>
> It's GSoC time again, so I'll get the ball rolling:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013
>
> I started a new ideas list:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2013
>
> Our previous list from 2012:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2012
>
> IRC log describing why we didn't get accepted last year:
> http://blackhole.ubitux.fr/gsoc.log
>
> Last years GSoC RFC:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2012-March/121557.html
>
> To reduce bloat I did not simply copy last years idea list because I'm
> not sure what is outdated or relevant. I left "Libavfilter extension"
> as an example, but please begin adding new ideas or copying over
> whatever you feel is acceptable (or you can tell me what you would like
> copied and I can do it). You may have to contact Mike Melanson for wiki
> account approval: mike at multimedia.cx.
>
> I would like to keep all ideas in a consistent format. Application
> reviewers seem fairly sensitive to the visual presentation in my
> opinion.
>
> We can submit our mentoring organization application beginning March 18
> and the deadline is March 29 at 19:00 UTC.

We need an admin and a co-admin for the program. I volunteer to act as
admin, Lou already proposed to act as co-admin, any other volunteers?

Same for the mentored tasks, we need a backup-admin for each task.

Page:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_of_Code_2013

Mentored tasks:
- H264 MVC (Michael Niedermayer)
- Animated Portable Network Graphics (APNG) (Paul B. Mahol)
- Misc Libavfilter extension (Stefano Sabatini + Clement Boesch)
- Inverse telecine filter (Clement Boesch)
- Subtitles (Clement Boesch)

I also propose to move all the mentored tasks in the top part of the
page, and list all the unmentored tasks in a dedicated section (1st
tier/2nd tier?).

Please add the tasks that you want to mentor as soon as possible. If
you're not sure about what/if/how you should mentor, feel free to
discuss on this list (or on IRC).
--
FFmpeg = Freak Frightening Merciful Peaceless Educated Geek