[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2013

Kieran Kunhya kierank at ob-encoder.com
Thu Mar 7 09:26:44 CET 2013

> A big task that might be too difficult is full support for closed captioning e.g. from ATSC broadcasts.
> Problems include: data is stored inside video frames (need a way to extract it) and it needs to be reordered in the same way as the video frames itself.
> Also the CC stuff has quite a few advanced features, so a decoder is non-trivial (writing a decoder for the CC streams from WTV allows skipping the how to extract/reorder issues sinc that's already done for that format).
> Teletext is another feature we do not yet support, and should be a bit simpler.

If this side of the fence ends up merging the AVBuffer stuff, CC
reordering should be easy since it'll just come out attached to every
frame (though there would need to be code somewhere to merge CCs from
two fields or two sets would need exporting).
How you'd decode it in FFmpeg using the current API, I don't know.

Teletext is a lot of work; one might be able to get just the subtitles
part working I guess.