[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg doesn't accept named pipes?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Mar 11 19:39:31 CET 2013

Le primidi 21 ventôse, an CCXXI, Ritu choudhary a écrit :
> here, record.ssa is a named pipe (mkfifo record.ssa) and some other
> application is continuously writing to this named pipe.
> ffmpeg hangs till the application is writing to the pipe and until the
> application is not stopped ,ffmpeg doesn't resume.

That is normal. ASS/SSA files need to be read completely before anything can
be done with it. ffmpeg can know it has read the whole file from a pipe only
when the other end of the pipe is closed.

(ffmpeg has this kind of behaviour with almost all text subtitles format,
mostly for convenience reasons; but for ASS this is mandatory, since the
events are not necessarily in chronological order.)

I suggest you post on the users mailing-list (which would have been the
right place for this message too) explaining what you are trying to achieve
(and not a non-working attempt at doing it).

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George