[FFmpeg-devel] libavfilter options help and manpage

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:09:51 CET 2013

On date Thursday 2013-03-28 23:42:52 +0100, Georg Martius encoded:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how description of the options in the AVOption are accessable
> from the command line.

One way is:
ffmpeg -h full | grep FILTER

> I thought it would be great to be able to write
> -vf somefilter=help

This would be invalid syntax (what if a filter accepts a string as the
first param?)

> and it will output options with their description.

In general it would be useful to show the options exposed by a generic
component (filter, codec, device, format, protocol, etc.). We could
have a syntax like:
ffmpeg -h CATEGORY:NAME

for example
ffmpeg -h filters:yadif

> I guess the man page for the ffmpeg-filter needs to be modified by hand of
> parameters are changing right?

Yes.
--
FFmpeg = Frightening and Fancy Maxi Powered Extensive Geisha