[FFmpeg-devel] sws support xyz input floors MS Antivirus Program

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Fri May 3 03:10:43 CEST 2013

It may sound absurd, but Michael (with the help of Matthias Buerchers
and Nicolas Bertrands) has found a way to crash Microsoft Security
Essentials. After cross-compiling ffmpeg.exe from git head (on Ubuntu),
Security Essentials crashed as soon as I copied the result to my Windows
drive (which my build script automatically does). For lovers of creepy
stuff: http://www.toolsforresearch.com/msecrash.gif

Of course, I checked my system from head to toe if no rootkit or
anything like that had creeped in. I installed a second anivirus program
(AVG) to be sure and to be protected during the frequent crashes of MS
SE.

Doing a sort of Git bisect I tracked the culprit:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=0c47c9028be2cf4b1a557e653606fced5b959445

Every ffmpeg with sources before this one had no problems, every one
after this commit brought Security Essentials to its knees. Tested on my
own Win7Pro system and on two systems with Windows 2008 R2. I have
already submitted the ffmpeg-build as feedback to MS, but I doubt if
they will take any action soon.

I will check with Kyle Schwarz (Zeranoe) if he is experiencing the same.
His Windows builds stop at April 28, just before the xyz support patch.
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Jan