[FFmpeg-devel] sws support xyz input floors MS Antivirus Program

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Fri May 3 06:39:52 CEST 2013

On 02/05/13 10:10 PM, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
> It may sound absurd, but Michael (with the help of Matthias Buerchers
> and Nicolas Bertrands) has found a way to crash Microsoft Security
> Essentials. After cross-compiling ffmpeg.exe from git head (on Ubuntu),
> Security Essentials crashed as soon as I copied the result to my Windows
> drive (which my build script automatically does). For lovers of creepy
> stuff: http://www.toolsforresearch.com/msecrash.gif
>
> Of course, I checked my system from head to toe if no rootkit or
> anything like that had creeped in. I installed a second anivirus program
> (AVG) to be sure and to be protected during the frequent crashes of MS
> SE.
>
> Doing a sort of Git bisect I tracked the culprit:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=0c47c9028be2cf4b1a557e653606fced5b959445
>
> Every ffmpeg with sources before this one had no problems, every one
> after this commit brought Security Essentials to its knees. Tested on my
> own Win7Pro system and on two systems with Windows 2008 R2. I have
> already submitted the ffmpeg-build as feedback to MS, but I doubt if
> they will take any action soon.
>
> I will check with Kyle Schwarz (Zeranoe) if he is experiencing the same.
> His Windows builds stop at April 28, just before the xyz support patch.
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
>
> Jan

I can confirm this. Something is making the MSE service crash, and you don't even need
to run ffmpeg for it to happen (MSE simply needs to try to access the executable).
It's been happening for a few days (Up-to-date Win7 x64 installation), and decidedly left
me speechless as this is the first time I see an executable, and a clean one at that,
crash an antivirus service.

Microsoft will most likely have to deal with this and not us (It's unacceptable that their
antivirus crashes like this). But until then, builds made with git head are a security
concern for MSE users, and it's not good at all for ffmpeg.

Regards.