[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] zmq filters

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri May 10 12:04:37 CEST 2013

On date Wednesday 2013-04-24 17:35:51 +0200, Nicolas George encoded:
> Le tridi 3 floréal, an CCXXI, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> > I can't honestly say, but at least it seems deployed in Debuntu, and
> > the library itself looks cool and slick. It has a simple and flexible
> > API, with lots of high level bindings which makes it particularly
> > suited for scripting. See in attachment a C client application I'm
> > using to test the filter (which I can eventually clean and put in
> > tools in the same commit).
>
> I am afraid that a library that is too obscure will only bitrot.
>
> > I opted for 3.2 because I was following the official tutorial and the
> > previous API seems a bit more complex. I can switch back to the 2.x
> > (incompatible) API.
>
> If the 2.x series is really incompatible, then I believe you were right to
> choose the most recent and simplest one.
>
> >     zmq_connect(requester, "tcp://localhost:5555");
>
> Is there any access control possible? If not, that limits the usability a
> lot.

Updated.

Still missing: message API?

Also check the communication "protocol", please suggest if you have
better ideas (but we could break-extend it later, or add support to
versioning).

The zmqshell.c patch depends on the av_dynarray_alloc_elem() patch. I
don't know if we should drop the C client in favor of the python
version (which would need to be extended, e.g. to make the bind
address configurable).
--
FFmpeg = Fierce & Fabulous Mean Ponderous Educated Gnome