[FFmpeg-devel] [NUT-devel] NUT version bump

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed May 15 13:21:42 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 10:48:43PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 05/04/2013 01:02 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > While updating my notes I noticed we are using version 3 to generate
> > something that does not contain the main_flags.
> >
> > (Yes somewhere I have patches to support BROADCAST_MODE and I'm thinking
> > about introducing an unseekable PIPE_MODE dropping syncpoints completely)
>
> Since the broadcast mode had never been used in the wild I'd change the
> definition of the additional timestamp so it is the actual wallclock
> epoch. This way provides a mean to know the overall latency and not just
> knowing the packet skew/jitter.

interresting idea.

I would suggest the following:
* leave the transmit_ts as it is
* add a field to the main header that contains the wallclock transmit
  time corresponding to the transmit_ts == 0

This should avoid the need to bump the version, improving
compatibility as old demuxers will be able to read it (they would
reject VERSION>3)

Its more space efficient than storing a full wallclock timestamp as
the 0 based timestamps would be smaller in value and take up fewer
bytes

Thanks

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus