[FFmpeg-devel] x11 output device for libavdevice

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun May 26 12:41:36 CEST 2013

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On date Tuesday 2013-05-14 17:16:34 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos encoded:
> > Stefano Sabatini <stefasab <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > +  --enable-xv              enable Xv video display [no]
> >
> > Imo, this should be autodetected.
> > (Why should it be handled differently from alsa?)
>
> Because right now the build system is schizofrenic,
> and it is not clear when autodetection logic should
> be used or not.

(Imo, it is crystal-clear, but that is not the quesion.)

> In most cases the user is *required* to explicitly
> specify all the libraries she wants to use (and the
> configure script will complain&fail in case the
> library is not detected). To my eyes libxv is no
> exception.

So allow me to repeat my question:
How is xv different from alsa?
And imo, they are both *very* different from libx264,
libm3lame, libdirac and libtheora (etc.).

> Ideally we should be able to set the autodetection
> policy, for example to automatically enable all the
> available libraries/features.

That may have been an interesting idea some years ago,
now it sounds like a behaviour change that will
produce many surprised users (which is why I am
against such a change).

Carl Eugen