[FFmpeg-devel] ATRAC3+ support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Oct 2 08:07:34 CEST 2013

On 02.10.2013, at 01:42, Maxim Polijakowski <max_pole at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 01.10.2013 17:53, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
>> Its not neutral if one submits patches to one project but
>> not the other.
>> Thats pretty much the definition of neutral vs. non neutral.
>>
>> yes, it is a matter of 2 seconds to add ffmpeg-devel to the CC of
>> your mails.
>> Seperate patches that are based on ffmpeg and are fully tested
>> might be a bit more work but then that makes sure they have been
>> tested and work in ffmpeg, and thats very important!
>>
>> duplicate review as in "more people reviewing code" doesnt sound like
>> a bad thing to me.
>>
>> More bugs/issues might be found and it might be thus more work
>> fixing them but thats what reviews are for, finding and fixing issues.
>
> I agree with you that having more people reviewing code isn't a bad thing. I'm always happy and thankful when someone helps me to find and fix bugs/issues in my code.
>
> Unfortunately, I spent alot of my time in the past fixing things completely unrelated to the functionality in order to make my patches pass countless FFmpeg review rounds. It was all about coding style, spelling, formatting etc. I simply believe that there are more important things I can contribute to FFmpeg than submitting pretty-printed and well formatted patches.

Then ignore those, people will generally comment on anything they can find (what would be the point of not saying when something isn't as good as it could be?).
Since I expect Michael intends to merge anyway you don't have to actually "pass" review.

> I would like to ask the question the other way round: is there any developer(s) interested in helping me to integrate my ATRAC3+ code into FFmpeg?

What is there to do except review? And there's always someone doing a bit of reviewing, even though if you are unlucky it might end up with only comments you do not care much about.