[FFmpeg-devel] Add version numbers information for Windows binaries

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 21:06:01 CEST 2013

On 17/10/13 9:39 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 05:59:20PM -0700, Timothy Gu wrote:
>> Sherpya has already done it.
>> https://github.com/sherpya/FFmpeg/commit/558e29b7c2dd609c3525f4cf78cc9af2aab1dea0
>
> interresting, and it looks simpler than the old patch
> anyone wants to test & submit it here ?
> "VALUE "SpecialBuild"" would need to be removed and the line endings
> dont look correct for git.
> also iam not sure about the icons
>
> also CCing sherpya

This one only adds resource metadata to the exe, and it doesn't work in out-of-tree
builds (Although i suppose it shouldn't be hard to fix).
My version only added resource metadata for the shared libraries (Didn't bother
with the exe since i didn't have an icon for it), but worked in out-of-tree builds
last time i tried it, and is also configurable.

The difference in complexity is basically the fact mine makes windres behave like
other tools from binutils (Adding its own BRIEF tag and letting the user choose the
path), and supports the libraries by adding a new subdir variable for shared lib
objects (Maybe this can be changed to reduce bloat).

All this aside, some fields' values need to be discussed. Like LegalCopyright, or
CompanyName (The latter if it makes sense using).

Regards.