[FFmpeg-devel] -vf copy does transcode rather than copy

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Oct 31 20:53:47 CET 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:35:34 -0600, Michael Bradshaw wrote:
>>On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM, David Favor <david at davidfavor.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'm missing something.
>>>
>>> The copy filter states...
>>>    Copy the input source unchanged to the output. Mainly useful for
>>> testing purposes.
>
> imo we shouldnt even document test/debug filters.
> it ONLY causes users to try them and have trouble...

No, there are people out there who are not ffmpeg devs who do debug
filter chains and know what they are doing and taking away the docs
would hurt them plus new developers who try to find their way around.
I'd prefer trying to make it clear in the text what they are for and
then live with the remaining misunderstandings. Just my 2c.