[FFmpeg-devel] h.265 decoding support

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:41:29 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Timothy Gu <timothygu99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2013 6:09 AM, "Dirk Farin" <dirk.farin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > here is a patch to add h.265 decoding via libde265
> > which I just released a week ago:
> >   https://github.com/strukturag/
> >
> > The decoder is a cleanroom implementation of h.265
> > without any reference software code in it. It is intra-only
> > at the moment, but I will add inter slices next. libde265
> > is LGPL.
> >
> > Sample streams encoded with the HM10.1 reference encoder
> > can also be found at the url above.
>
> Is it possible for you to implement a libavcodec-native decoder instead of
> adding a new external library? We can probably reuse some of the h264
> decoding asm for hevc.

There is already a native decoder under development, targeted at libav, but
as always can easily be applied to FFmpeg as well.

https://github.com/OpenHEVC/libav
http://lists.libav.org/pipermail/libav-devel/2013-August/049753.html

The decoder is feature complete, as far as i know, and just needs a bit of
refactoring and cleanup before its ready for inclusion.
After that, only optimizations are missing, MT, SIMD, etc..

Another native decoder doesn't make much sense. An external library might
be useful in some cases, but personally i would delay inclusion until it
can at least decode the conformance samples.

- Hendrik