[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 2.1

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Sep 8 20:22:39 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 05:34:11PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> the FFmpeg 2.0 release is already 2 month ago so it soon becomes
> time for another release. My plan is to make the release within the
> next 4-6 weeks or so
> If you want something in, dont hesitate to work on getting it in

I'd like to get VDPAU (using the new API) working properly, can
someone help out?
I can't even test it properly unfortunately.
The issues I know about:
1) packed B-frame MPEG-4 videos seem to decode without B-frames.
Possibly just adding a "s->mb_y = s->mb_height;" to the hwaccel case
of decode_slice will work.
Am I correct that mb_y != mb_height at the end of that function should
only happen in case of errors?
Either way there is quite a mess, for example vaapi_mpeg4 has this code:
>    if (avctx->codec->id == AV_CODEC_ID_H263)
>            s->mb_y = s->mb_height;

However that means for != AV_CODEC_ID_H263 mb_y will stay 0 _forever_,
which seems like completely nonsense.
Could it be that all this was implemented by pure trial and error?

2) I have had reports of decode artefact with VC1 which only happen
with the new decoder code. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it so far.
This might be because I either miss the right sample, or because or
try running on AMD hardware (which in turn seems to have hardware hangs
when trying to decode WMV3, but for the moment I assume that is not
a FFmpeg issue).