[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Move ffplay engine to separate library

Lukasz M lukasz.m.luki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 23:29:33 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'd like to propose new library of ffmpeg project that provides middle
layer between current ffmpeg tools and player that uses it.
There is a lot to do to make a player based on ffmpeg working correctly,
this is probably common for most players.
That would be good to make it as a part of ffmpeg project so it can be
maintained globaly and people may contribute to it.

I used to make an iOS player for my own purpose, that base on ffmpeg and I
ported ffplay as a core for it.
Unfortunatelly it is hard to keep it up to date with git master, I believe
there is many people that would appreciate this kind of library inside
ffmpeg.

I made some work as kind of "proof of concept". I pushed it on
https://github.com/lukaszmluki/ffmpeg/tree/libavengine
This is not a stuff ready to merge. In contrary, there is a lot of things
not finished. It's just a vision more or less how it would look like.

In general I wanted to make a library that is platform independet (it
depends only on ffmpeg). As it requires threads, synchronization etc,
it would be provided as callbacks by player (ffplay as a internal player).
These callback would be global (initalized once)

There would be also callbacks for player stuff like audio initialization /
closing, picture rendering etc.
The player would need to call (names are kept from ffplay)
video_refresh periodically and sdl_audio_callback when audio system needs
data.

At this moment I don't want to talk about details. Just want to hear your
opinion about this idea.

Best Regards,
Lukasz Marek