[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 15 17:53:14 CEST 2014

On 08/15/2014 11:23 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> On 08/15/2014 08:20 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>>> Absolutely everyone should *always* be able to leave comments, be
>>> it positive or negative.
>>
>> yes, i fully agree and this also was always so in FFmpeg. In that
>> sense everyone is welcome to subscribe to ffmpeg-devel and review
>> and comment patches. That of course includes Libav developers and
>> everyone else. And more reviewers would also certainly help, so
>> yeah anyone reading this and wanting to help review patches, you
>> are welcome!
>
> Well, using a mailing list to review patches is something we were
> doing 10 years ago.

It's also something the Linux kernel is still doing, with apparent
success.

I for one consider it to be a much more public, transparent, and
discoverable way to let proposed patches and the review of same be open
to public view, compared to the way various other projects seem to do
it.

Making sure everything passes through the mailing list, and most if not
all substantive discussion happens on the mailing list, is a lot better
than having some discussion on the mailing lists and some on a bug
tracker and some on IRC and some via private mail and so on. (The most
ridiculously extreme example of this fragmentation that I know of is
probably the Mozilla project.)

There's nothing wrong with having discussion in those various areas, of
course; it's probably inevitable, and it's even a good thing. It's just
that it's a lot harder for someone not intimately involved with the
project to follow discussion if it happens in such a variety of places,
and there's value to be found in making sure that everything passes
through one central (discussion-enabled) point before landing.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.