[FFmpeg-devel] Common mailing-list for API evolutions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Aug 24 19:35:28 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 02:54:19PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 00:28:56 +0200
> Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Kieran suggested tonight on #ffmpeg-devel to have a common mailing-list
> > between the two projects to start communicating again in sane terms.
> >
> > The proposition would be a mailing-list where the 2 projects would send
> > the patches that will make API evolutions. So the projects can continue to
> > drop or add codecs & filters without caring about the other, but will try
> > to communicate more about the API, for the sake of our common users.
> >
> > At first, I suggest that won't engage anything from any of the two
> > projects (so we don't end up in a stalled states such as one project
> > trying to block the other), but it could be seen as a way to introduce
> > some common technical ground.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> That sounds like a good idea!

+1

though it makes only sense if libav is also using it, spliting
ffmpeg development mails up across 2 lists isnt a great idea ...

maybe mails could be CC-ed or automatically forwarded to ffmpeg-devel ?

> > On the technical side, we potentially need a neutral party to setup such
> > mailing-list. Is anyone willing to do that?
>
> Maybe videolan could provide that? Unless a mailing list on either the
> ffmpeg or libav servers would be sufficient.

i can setup a mailing list on ffmpeg.org if people want
also, technically it would be easiest to just use ffmpeg-devel itself
all ffmpeg developers are already subscribed and quite a few libav
people as well ...

Thanks

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus