[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Bug bounties

Alex Sukhanov alx.sukhanov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:00:45 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:16:12PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I was thinking about if we should put an
> > automatic 50 USD bounty on every bug thats open since more than
> > 12 month on trac, and limited to the first 20 claims so its limited
> > to 1000 USD max expenses for us (for now)
> > (also limited to real unique bugs of course)
>
> What about the votes instead of time?
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/report/11
>
> The old bugs might not be relevant in a lot of cases. Typically a single
> user having an issue hardly reproducible, and so old he doesn't even care
> about anymore. The votes on the other hand reflect the public demand.
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Clément B.

Hi,

In my opinion money is not a good motivator for people who work on open
source projects.
This idea is clearly described in book of Daniel Pink "Drive"
<http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Surprising-Truth-About-Motivates/dp/1594484805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409176363&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+-+daniel+pink>.
In long term paying money for old bugs kills motivation, because people
start to consider these tasks as boring.
Instead I would suggest to think how we can show that these bugs are
important and how fixing these bugs would help people (FFmpeg users).
Clément Bœsch gave an excellent idea to vote for bugs, so developers can
see how it's important and focus on things which really matter.

Also having some status or list of most active contributors on FFmpeg
website would be great. I mean status which is calculated automatically
using bug fixing stats.