[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg nvenc

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Wed Dec 17 15:20:28 CET 2014

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:34:56 +0000
Agatha Hu <ahu at nvidia.com> wrote:
> We've almost finished the license part in our patch and plan to
> commit to ffmpeg community, but we found ffmpeg add Timo's nvenc
> patch days ago, so our patch is incompatible with the TOT version.
> Should we (1)Add libnvenc on TOT branch but without changing Timo's
> work or (2)Change nvenc on TOT branch like an incremental patch on
> Timo's work. In fact I would prefer (1), as it requires less work.

probably (1) for now. that way we can see the differences between the
implementations. sometimes two implementations allow us to find bugs.

if the license situation is "fixed", then later on it might be possible
for timo to work on the nvidia nvenc and there wont be so much code
duplication.

its happened before (mpeg decoding, prores, h264 encoders, mpeg4
decoders) so its nothing new for ffmpeg to have multiple
implementations. although there might be some devs complaining about
it :)

i dont speak for the project, so better wait for more replies.

please post an updated patch with the license fixes when possible.

-compn