[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg nvenc

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Mon Dec 29 15:10:08 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 03:29:55PM +0800, Agatha Hu wrote:
> On 2014/12/20 16:14, Philip Langdale wrote:
> >
> >I found two specific problems while testing the original patch and I
> >put together fixes for them, but I don't have acces to the machine with
> >the diffs until the 5th of Jan (whoops) so I will send those when I can.
> >
> >Those are: b-frame support (using a circular array of buffers) and
> >correct aspect ratio for non-square pixels.
> >
> >--phil
> >

> Thanks. Please send it when available.
>
> And I updated the patch, replaced the std malloc/free functions with ffmpeg
> APIs and fix code according to the review. See attachment.

I hope you understand that this patch is likely to get rejected for several
reasons. Here is a (probably) non exhaustive list:

 - There are still some license uncertainties about the licensing (see
   "die_license_disabled nonfree nvenc" in the configure)

 - Having both libnvenc and nvenc is not viable. The users will be
   confused and a mess to maintain.

   If you want to replace nvenc by your code, make it support the same
   options as current nvenc (to not break compatibility), same name, and a
   feature equivalent or superset.

   The other solution being to patch our nvenc with the feature you want
   to add. And yes, NVIDIA will still have some visibility on this, you
   will be able to add yourself as maintainers for the file and in the
   Copyright header, if that's your company's concern.

 - You add many private unused options to make it "compatible" with a
   libx264 command line. This is messy; private options mean what they
   are, specific to the encoder.

 - Coding style is broken, you have many tabs, trailing whitespaces, ...

> Agatha Hu

Regards,

--
Clément B.