[FFmpeg-devel] Patch: icl linker errors in cmdutils

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 15:51:41 CET 2014

On 2/8/2014 12:23 AM, Matt Oliver wrote:
> My build chain has
> been heavily modified which is obviously causing the differences in
> functionality.

This should have been mentioned initially. You cannot expect people to accept
what amounts to hacks/workarounds for your custom setup, without even mentioning
it is custom.

> Ill see what I can do about finding an exact configure line
> that will be break compilation on a fresh install but that will require
> reverting a whole bunch of changes.

It's a simple principle: I am not going to accept a patch to fix part of the
code I helped write based purely on someone's hearsay.

> I understand that because I submitted this patch as a fix to a linker error
> that you are refusing to accept it purely on whether you can reproduce the
> error.

If we accepted every patch based purely on hearsay we would have amassed a lot
of crap over the years.

> My "shoddy" info wasnt a deliberate attempt to be vague I just
> figured that for such a simple patch that obviously didnt break anything it
> could be applied with minimal effort without wasting anyones time.

I never said it was deliberate.

> So on a
> philosophical note If this patch had instead been submitted as "Optimize by
> removing unnecessary if(0)/if(1) in cmdutils" would it have been more
> likely to have been accepted.

Nope. Probably less likely, since we rely on DCE as a matter of principle and
consistency. It wouldn't be removed as an "optimization".

> Relying on a compiler to remove unneeded code
> is generally not a good idea especially when its so easy to remove it
> yourself.

The fact is we do. Everywhere. Consistently.

> The fact that it can also fix linker errors could just be
> considered a bonus.

Your philosophy differs with ours with regards to relying on DCE,
so it's not a "bonus"; it's the only point of the patch.

- Derek