[FFmpeg-devel] Allow interrupt callback for AVCodecContext

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Jan 6 09:42:13 CET 2014

Le septidi 17 nivôse, an CCXXII, Don Moir a écrit :
> Yeah callback needs to be called but that is negligible. It does not
> need additional memory resources that matter and no additional
> threads. The default is a noop and always a very quick return (up to
> user but common sense dictates return immediately otherwise user is
> at fault for slowness). It does not seem to matter to you though,
> that av_log is called very often..

Please update your common sense to work with modern CPUs with long pipelines
and branch predictions.

You want low-latency multitasking, that is something inherently expensive.
You can not expect to put that expense to all libavcodec users, whether they
need it or not.

Ronald suggested you a way of implementing it. It puts that expense on your
program, in terms of memory and a bit CPU time during the overlap. I can
suggest another one: run the decoder in a separate process, rather than
thread, so you can kill it immediately without leaking.

> Clock battery dead or dying and not a simple change out right now because
> busy, but reset clock for this email.

Thanks. Note that if you can send emails, then you have access to the
network, and therefore to NTP servers.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George