[FFmpeg-devel] Sponsoring and generating money in general (IRC meeting follow-up)

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Jan 12 21:45:12 CET 2014

On 01/12/2014 08:49 PM, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> Regarding spending ffmpeg foundation money. We can spend them for
> advertising, to bring some shine to ffmpeg product name and to ensure
> people that it is the most robust software in its category. This would
> also result in other companies to proudly declare that they use
> ffmpeg.

This reminds me that I think it might be a good thing to have some way
for companies to declare that they are using (and hopefully also
supporting) ffmpeg.

I found (and still find) it very hard to talk to "professionals" in the
video domain about using and funding ffmpeg, without having official
references of ffmpeg's use to refer them to. I know a few entities in
the broadcasting/archiving business now who said that they're using (or
even contributing code/money to) ffmpeg, but there's nothing to
officially point to.

There is (was?) a hall-of-shame. What if there was a hall-of-fame where
ffmpeg could list "prestigous" users/contributers?

This might help the "perceived quality/value" of ffmpeg. Unfortunately,
most decision makers (who in the end decide how much money goes where)
decide by "who else is using it?", since they are usually unable to
judge technology by technical means.

Just an idea.

Regards,
Pb