[FFmpeg-devel] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** vintage avi type 1 compatibility?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jan 25 15:42:14 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 07:30:33AM +0000, u-owvm at aetey.se wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 09:19:11PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:29:17PM +0000, u-owvm at aetey.se wrote:
> > > It looks like the avi multiplexer always produces avi type 2 files. This
> > > is fine almost always but some ancient programs are unhappy with this
> > > format version.
>
> > iam not sure what you mean by avi type 1 and type 2
> > theres type 1 and type 2 dv in avi, but obviously you speak about
> > something else
>
> Sorry, it was a bad choice of wording.
> Right, I did not mean the dv avi types.
>
> What I am looking for is the pre-1996 avi format without extensions.
>
> (I was referring to "AVI 2.0" which Wikipedia says the format is called
> with the extensions, so I assumed that the former format would be called
> "AVI 1.x")

what is the difference or rather which things that we write / dont
write cause a problem ?

and where is the spec for the old format ?

also, i have a bad feeling about using wikipedia as reference here

and opendml AVI had its first release 1995 not 1996 according to the
opendml spec if thats what you refer to by AVI 2.0

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato