[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]Add int64_t probesize2 to AVFormatContext

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Mon Jul 28 11:28:38 CEST 2014

Nicolas George wrote:
 > Maybe you could have a look at tools/dvd2concat: it may help solve some of
 > your problems (a simple concat script concatenating a single file can be
 > used to declare all the streams of a headerless format)

Ah!  Thank you very much for pointing me to the concat demuxer.
I wasn't aware that it can be (ab)used to declare the presence
of streams in an input file.  I will definitely give that a try.

 > and since you are
 > familiar with the DVD structure, you may be able to help enhance it. If the
 > Perl script could parse the IFO structure without relying on a patched
 > lsdvd, that would be a great plus. Something could also be devised to allow
 > including extradata, that would fix the palette problem.

Well, my own tool can do all of that ...  The problem is, it
is written in Python, and I'm somewhat reluctant to touch Perl
scripts.

Thinking about it, I'd rather rewrite it in C.  Maybe the
functionality can be added to ffmpeg as another demuxer, like
"-f dvd -dvd_title 3 -i <path> ..."  The question is whether
this would be better than using libdvd.  I've never used libdvd
before, so I can't tell for sure.  FWIW, the mplayer team
decided to use their own code instead of depending on libdvd.

The code to locate the information in a DVD (*.iso image or
VIDEO_TS file structure) is not complex.  The complex part is
how to integrate this with ffmpeg, because I'm not very
familiar with the overall code structure of ffmpeg.  Maybe
I should look at the code of the concat demuxer in order to
get an impression how such a thing would need to be written.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
``We are all but compressed light'' (Albert Einstein)