[FFmpeg-devel] Order of demuxed packets after a seek in an ogg container.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jun 28 14:58:01 CEST 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:38:55AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 27.06.2014, at 22:20, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:24:14 +0200
> > Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >> For example consider an audio player which doesnt mark the video
> >> stream as discard it would mess up audio seek positions badly.
> >
> > That audio player is obviously buggy for not disabling the video
> > stream, then.
>
> The video stream might not have existed before the seek, thus disabling it is impossible.
> Expecting the impossible of the users isn't good API design.

i wonder if this isnt going a bit too far in the "what if" category

but if we really want to support the case that new streams get
detected during a seek, that would either require a callback or
simply redoing the seek, could even be along the lines of returning
EAGAIN from the seek function indicating new streams have been found
and the user app has to decide which it wants to consider

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.