[FFmpeg-devel] probable dshow bug or strangeness

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 17:56:12 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Moir" <donmoir at comcast.net>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] probable dshow bug or strangeness

Using above quick fix only allows for some display. It is not correct though (display is a bit weird) and that does not overcome the
real problem which is still unknown.

The thing about GetSize in this case is it always returns the expected frame size. Be it RGB, YUV, etc, the size returned by GetSize
is the expected frame size.

I have about 3 or 4 normal USB cameras and they all work correctly with GetActualDataLength etc. Just some assortment of capture
devices are not working and this information came to me from end users.

The problem as reported to me was: Everything list ok but you get no display. So I had to find some software capture device that
reproduced the problem.

I came across MediaLooks capture device and it seems to indicate the problems reported by users. List ok but no display.

Roger if you or anyone else wants to take a look, you can download the MediaLooks dshow filter here. It's free (ignore buy button)
and easy. Download, Install, no BS.

http://www.medialooks.com/screen_capture/

You can use ffplay or other code using ffmpeg to reproduce the problem. I can't say right now if this particular device accounts for
all devices reported by users but it's a good start and these reported problems all had the same indication of: (list ok but no
display).

Works fine in VLC. I should be able to get back to it in a couple days, but if anyone has a suggestion I will look at that right
away.