[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC 00/10] AV_SAMPLE_FMT_DSD

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue May 6 21:15:37 CEST 2014

On Tue, 6 May 2014 22:37:32 +1000
Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> wrote:

> RFC:
>
> Direct Stream Digital (DSD), a.k.a One bit audio (OBA), is an alternative to PCM.
> It can be found in Super Audio CDs and hi-res downloadable music.

Can I ask what warrants treating DSD as sample format instead of a
codec? FFmpeg is very conservative about sample formats and defines
only a few. For example, we don't support 24 bit audio directly, we
don't support unsigned or other-endian formats, we don't support stuff
like adpcm or a-law as sample formats.

It seems usually we only add sample formats that are easy to manipulate
(e.g. filtering). DSD doesn't seem to fit into this schema.

DSD also seems to be quite obscure and didn't seem to be overly
successful commercially. I don't find any hints that DSD is in any way
superior to PCM either.