[FFmpeg-devel] patch for x32 for libpostproc

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:23:12 CEST 2014

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 16:30:14 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 03:53:55PM +0200, wm4 wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 23:33:48 -0400
> > Reinhard Tartler <siretart at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So the promise given in
> > > https://lists.libav.org/pipermail/libav-devel/2012-February/020712.html
> > > doesn't hold anymore?
> > >
> > > Any chance to make you reconsider reviving the standalone libpostproc.git?
> >
> > Yes, let me add my protest against this bullshit of still maintaining
> > libpostproc as part of ffmpeg.git in FFmpeg.
>
> Can you elaborate / explain why 14496-2 Part 2: Visual Annex F.3
> "Postprocessing for Coding Noise Reduction"
> (which is about half of what libpostproc is)
>
> Aka a part of the implementation of the MPEG4 ASP video specification
> is insane to maintain in the same git repository as the
> MPEG4 ASP video decoder and encoder ?

Even if it somehow implements part of that spec, the decoders don't
actually use libpostproc. I don't know anyone except you and maybe some
MPlayer+FFmpeg devs who consider libpostproc an important component.

And in general, it's a good idea to move optional libraries out of
ffmpeg.git. (In fact, ffmpeg.git should be split into several git
repos, one for each lib.)

> Iam not saying iam against it, just that it seems very strange to me
>
> If people want we could revive libpostproc.git, it just seemed easier
> to me if people use libpostproc from FFmpeg
>
> [...]

Feel free to create your own separate libpostproc git repo based on
ffmpeg.