[FFmpeg-devel] Should add AVProbeData change to API changes + release notes

Andreas Cadhalpun andreas.cadhalpun at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:51:48 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 12.09.2014 15:18, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:54:36PM +0200, Andreas Cadhalpun wrote:
>>
>> That's for sure.

>>> agree
>>
>> Please really document this!

Attached 0001 patch adds documentation for this.
The 0002 patch changes the score to AVPROBE_SCORE_MIME for matching mime
types, which seems to have been intended [0].

>> It broke mpd [1] and the mpd developer wasn't happy that this is not
>> documented [2].
>>
>> But there is also another problem, as can be seen from the comment
>> in the fix [3]:
>> /* this attribute was added in libav/ffmpeg version 11, but
>>     unfortunately it's "uint8_t" instead of "char", and it's
>>     not "const" - wtf? */
>>

>> I'm also wondering, why AVProbeData.mime_type is a uint8_t* instead
>> of a const char*.
>
> dont ask me

Well, then I'm CC'ing the author of this commit.

>> This was introduced in commit
>> 3a19405d574a467c68b48e4b824c76617fd59de0 (merged from Libav) and in
>> the same commit lpd.mime_type is used as argument for av_match_name,
>> which takes const char* ...
>> And mime_type was added as const char* to AVInputFormat, so this is
>> even inconsistent.
>>
>> So should this be changed to const char*?
>
> i would tend toward a yes.
> Though in theory this could lead to software that builds with libav
> and doesnt with ffmpeg
> for example if someone assigns a array to pd.mime_type and then
> writes into that by using pd.mime_type

Not only in theory, because if one tries to assign a uint8_t* to a const
char* variable or vice versa, compilation will fail with e.g.:
error: invalid conversion from ‘uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}’ to ‘const
char*’ [-fpermissive]

> its really more a question what the community prefers here
> 100% compatibility or 99% and the more sane type

Thus I'd say that in order to retain compatibility the 0003 patch,
changing AVProbeData.mime_type from uint8_t* to const char*, should only
be applied, if this change is also applied in Libav, even though I think
it is wrong the way it is now.

Best regards,
Andreas

0: https://lists.libav.org/pipermail/libav-devel/2014-July/061038.html