[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] lavfi: port mp/eq to a regular filter

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:18:52 CEST 2014

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:02:36 +0200
James Darnley <james.darnley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-09-15 13:17, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:46:14AM +0200, James Darnley wrote:
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Still a couple of things on the todo list (see the top of the new file) but I
> >> thought I would send the basics along for people to nit pick.
> >>
> >>  configure                |   1 +
> >>  libavfilter/Makefile     |   1 +
> >>  libavfilter/allfilters.c |   1 +
> >>  libavfilter/vf_eq.c      | 157 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >>  4 files changed, 160 insertions(+)
> >>  create mode 100644 libavfilter/vf_eq.c
> >>

> > Thanks, but note that eq is obsolete: we need a filter that merge the
> > features & performances from both eq and eq2. I should have mentioned that
> > yesterday, I'm sorry...
>
> I did notice that in the MPlayer docs.  I wanted to start with the
> simpler one to get a feel of how to turn an mp filter into a regular one.
>
> I also noticed that eq2 has a "simple" mode that is the same as eq.  I
> was planning on merging the two into one file, perhaps with a second
> filter class that is only allows setting the values from eq.

A single filter that does everything and that doesn't make you pay for
more expensive features if you don't use them would probably be best.

I don't understand why anyone in MPlayer thought it would be reasonable
to copy&paste a filter, add more features to it, and append a "2" to its
name. Maybe politics?