[FFmpeg-devel] Branchpoint tags

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 05:46:48 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni <at> gmx.at> writes:
>
>> Should we add git tags to the revissions where
>> releases are branched off ?
>
> Yes please, this would make my life much easier.
>
> n2.5-dev sounds ok.

Ping. Personally I think we should use n2.4-post, as it is more
consistent with RELEASE file, and doesn't have the ambiguity that
comes with "dev" (i.e. does 2.5-dev < 2.5 ? or > 2.5?).

Libav is recently considering to use Semantic Versioning (semver.org),
which demands "2.5-dev". To fully comply with semver, we also need to
change first release of a branch to "2.4.0" instead of "2.4," which I
am not sure if that's what everybody wants.

Timothy