[FFmpeg-devel] Areas needing work

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Tue Apr 7 00:23:32 CEST 2015

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 19:24:35 +0100
Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/6/2015 4:43 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > * ffserver lacks a regression test
> >   code that is not tested will accumulate bugs. period
> >   there are people who use ffserver, they clearly like the lack of
> > regression tests it seems as noone finds the need to look into
> > changing that.
>
> Drop ffserver. It is crap, and I have been saying this for years. It
> has no legitimate use cases as far as I am concerned.

i think we tried this a few years ago and found that we do still have
ffserver users, they are just quiet until we threaten to rm it. if/when
it breaks, someone will either be there to fix it or it will rot.

removing it really helps no one, unless your larger goal is to seperate
the project into library maint and a seperate project for tools like
ffmpeg/ffserver .

i'm not making the argument either way, i'm just trying to help. :)

-compn