[FFmpeg-devel] Gathering opinions from FFmpeg developers about a reunification with Libav developers

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:05:21 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:

> - One of the main collateral damage for the FFmpeg codebase is the
>   duplicated features (prores, avr/swr, and more), and I'm willing to make
>   this a priority on my TODO list for the sake of the new project, but I
>   would like to see more people standing here, especially when they are
>   concerned by these areas.

I've worked on both, so I can find some time and merge each, when a
reunification happens based on our codebase. The outcome will be one prores
enc/dec and one resampling library, which is a superset (in terms of
features and performance) of the individual components. The alternates will
exist under an ifdef for a while, while they undergo the deprecation
process as is usual. Eventually they disappear.

If the point of deduplication or merging of the two codebases overall comes
up (basically similar to the above, comparing the two codebases for various
modules and deciding if features/sections need (re-)merging), I'm happy to
be one of the people involved in the process. An example could be
re-splitting ffvp9 in multiple source files.

As for merge conditions, I'm open-minded and think it'll benefit both
projects, as well as our end users. I'll write down more details sometime
later. I'm willing to add sweeteners (like: set aside time to write
particular features) as a bonus if a merge happens based on our codebase.
An examples would be to merge all openhevc optimizations (properly
rewritten in yasm) in ffhevc, or something like that. This is a huge
project (ask James/Christophe), so don't take this lightly. :)

Ronald