[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 2.8

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:49:40 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Here is sample that seeks quite badly with the old
>> demuxer, in playback it takes several seconds for the
>> seek to catch up properly,
>
> (Seconds or milliseconds? I can reproduce the issue
> with time but not visually...)

Seconds. The way seeking works in my app is that when user wants to
seek to positon X, then the reference clock is set to X, and if the
demuxer seeks to a wrong position, then it either has to read and
decode a lot of frames until X is reached (which on a modern PC
usually doesn't take *that* long), or even worse, if it seeks to a
point after the requested position, it has to wait until the reference
clock has advanced in real-time to the position which it demuxes from
- which then can literally take seconds, and annoys users to no end.