[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 2.8

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Aug 31 11:04:46 CEST 2015

Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Seconds. The way seeking works in my app is that when
> user wants to seek to positon X, then the reference
> clock is set to X, and if the demuxer seeks to a
> wrong position, then it either has to read and decode
> a lot of frames until X is reached (which on a modern
> PC usually doesn't take *that* long), or even worse,
> if it seeks to a point after the requested position,
> it has to wait until the reference clock has advanced
> in real-time to the position which it demuxes from -
> which then can literally take seconds, and annoys
> users to no end.

So if I understand correctly, the issue is that the
old demuxer sometimes (often / always) seeks to a
position later than the requested position and the
difference is bigger than with the optional
demuxer that also seeks to a later position but
less later?
Was this the reason for implementing the new demuxer?

Are you really sure that fixing the new demuxer isn't
a magnitude more work than fixing the seeking issue
in the old one?
(Did you actually ever report this issue? I wasn't
aware of it and I even wasn't aware of your usecase...)

Carl Eugen