[FFmpeg-devel] AAC experimental flag: the sequel

Claudio Freire klaussfreire at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 16:37:00 CET 2015

So, here comes the discussion again.

This time, the AAC encoder is in good shape. It's not perfect. I have
a list of known bugs to address that still has some issues, but I'm
not really certain whether they should block the flag's removal.

The bugs will be addressed in time, but maybe the encoder is in good
enough shape as it is?

It needs more testing. My tests have all been centered on one
configuration: AAC-LC + PNS + M/S + I/S, ABR, twoloop coder. I haven't
yet thoroughly tested any other configuration, or any other coder, and
it's possible the other coders are kaputt.

I have plans for the other coders but they haven't been fleshed out yet.

There are two possibilities here:

1. Wait until the other coders at least don't crash before removing the flag

2. Remove the flag now, and document the other coders' instability

Which one to go for depends a lot on what removing the flag means to
other people.

Does it mean "it is stable" or does it mean "it's stable for most
uses"? (a subtle but important distinction). IE: what's the contract
between us developers and users when we remove the flag? I'm rather
new at this.

More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list