[FFmpeg-devel] ffplay: insertion point of the auto rotation filter - Github ticket #141

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Mon Dec 28 22:35:42 CET 2015

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 11:09:42PM +0100, Balint Marton wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> The patch you committed seems to break the cropping to even width /
>> height as required by SDL overlay code.
>>

>> Also there can be a use case for inserting the auto rotation filter
>> after the user provided filter chain as well. (e,g, deinterlacing).
>
> do you have a sample which uses interlacing and rotation ?
> on second thought this seems a somewhat odd combination
> rotated videos are something i would associate with phones,
> interlacing i would generally not associate with phones

No, I don't have such a sample, you're right, probably it is not common.

But I guess there are other - more commonly used - examples.

Another reason why I prefer things the way they are now is that if
eventually ffplay will support SDL2, rotation will be cheap, because the
video will be a proper texture, and this also means that auto rotation
will be done at the end of the filter chain...

Regards,
Marton