[FFmpeg-devel] QuickTime Animation (qtrle) decoder needs heavy rewriting for 1-bit video

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Dec 31 12:28:37 CET 2015

Le primidi 11 nivôse, an CCXXIV, Mats Peterson a écrit :
> Just to let you know, I can do what the .... I want with the code while
> experimenting.

Not exactly, no. If you look at another project, even while experimenting,
then the final code can be said to be inspired by it, and for some people
that is enough to claim copyright, even if the legal grounds are flimsy.

Since XAnim is not Libre Software, code derived from it can not be added to
FFmpeg. Where the limit between "inspired by" and "derived from" lies is
subjective, you need to be very careful on how you do it to be well on the
safe side.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George