[FFmpeg-devel] QuickTime Animation (qtrle) decoder needs heavy rewriting for 1-bit video

Mats Peterson matsp888 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 12:51:33 CET 2015

On 12/31/2015 12:28 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le primidi 11 nivôse, an CCXXIV, Mats Peterson a écrit :
>> Just to let you know, I can do what the .... I want with the code while
>> experimenting.
>
> Not exactly, no. If you look at another project, even while experimenting,
> then the final code can be said to be inspired by it, and for some people
> that is enough to claim copyright, even if the legal grounds are flimsy.
>
> Since XAnim is not Libre Software, code derived from it can not be added to
> FFmpeg. Where the limit between "inspired by" and "derived from" lies is
> subjective, you need to be very careful on how you do it to be well on the
> safe side.

Yes, point taken once again. I would like to see someone solve the 1-bit
qtrle issue in one or another way, though. I'm currently not capable to
do it. But I'm afraid it's not possible, since there is no official
documentation of the QuickTime Animation codec as far as I know. Pity.

Mats

--
Mats Peterson
http://matsp888.no-ip.org/~mats/