[FFmpeg-devel] Backport keywords

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Thu Feb 12 21:16:28 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:06:54PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> ubitux pushed me into thinking about $subj, so heres some suggestions
>
> Commits which are security relevant must be backported
> Other (important) bugfixes can be backported as well, if someone wants
> to do the work.
> Authors/Maintainers/Release maintainers should backport these commits
> OR should add a "Backport-to:" Keyword with a list of releases to
> which backporting is needed
> (theres no need to add that keyword if one intends to do the backport
>  by oneself)
> Examples:
> Backport-to: 2.5, 2.4
> Backport-to: 2.5-2.4
> Backport-to: *-2.4
> Backport-to: *

I believe you generally don't want to look to which release you could
backport to while doing the fix itself (otherwise you'd probably backport
it immediately). Basically, doing this release research is too much work
when doing the fix itself, and people will likely not do it.

I'd suggest just a toggle flag, but that's just me.

--
Clément B.