[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg Hosting

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jul 10 14:20:55 CEST 2015

Hi

iam also CCing Ilya Ustinov <i.ustinov at cdnvideo.com> as he had a
similar question

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:23:48PM +0200, Sterz, David wrote:
> Dear ffmpeg Hosting-Team,
>
> we are thinking of providing you the needed Hosting.
>

> Can you send me more details about the Infrastructure + Technologies you
> currently use and have and would like to have?
>
> I mean:
>
> *1) Infrastructure*
>
> 1.1 How many Servers?

we already have some offers, but we would like to end with
2 free servers, each hosted/provided by a different company

> 1.2 What OS + Version/Distribution?

to match what we have ATM, ubuntu 14.04 LTS

> 1.3 Is a Public Cloud an Option? Is high Data Privacy very important? I
> mean ISO Standards

> 1.3 What Hardware/Ressources is needed per Server: RAM, HDD,
> Networkconnection per Server
>
> *2) Technology*
>
> 2.1 What Services are running? (svn, trac, mailing list, what else?)

svn, trac, postfix, mailman, gitolite, apache, rsync, ftp, ssh, probably
some stuff i forgot

> 2.2 Are using any Virtualization / Container Technology at the Moment?

not ATM but we do plan to move to using Virtualization in the future

> 2.3 I guess you just want Remote Access and doing the Migration by yourself?

yes
note, though as we already hastly rented a relativly cheap box and
a lower end one we got for free and
moved things to them, it might take some time for volunteers to
do the 2nd migration to better&free servers as theres no requirement
to move quickly.
That also means volunteers who want to help in
such a migration should send me a private mail. Note ill be paranoid
on who i accept due to needed root access

The current offer (from libnova) we have is a
    64gb ram xeon server with 4tb storage dedicated for the project
    no traffic limit, 500mbps warranted, 1 gbps burst hosted at OVH
    CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/75779/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-v2-10M-Cache-3_70-GHz
    2 years prepaid server. And might pay for longer but no gurantee for that

Assuming we accept that offer, we would like to have a similar or
better machines provided by a different company for redundancy

thanks

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway