[FFmpeg-devel] Add support for j2ki/mxf

tim nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 11:04:58 CEST 2015

On 22/07/15 14:29, Matthieu Bouron wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> The following patchset add support for j2ki/mxf files (which store frames
> using the separate fields / segmented frame layouts, ie: fields are
> stored in seperate frames) through the insertion of filters at the
> ffmpeg/ffplay level. It differs from my original attempt which introduced
> modifications at the decoder level, which in my opinion was wrong and
> introduced several limitations, such as:
>
> [..]

I may be missing something here, as my mind has been on other things.
But currently most mxf material I see that ffmpeg correctly handles is
"frame wrapped" with the frame layout as type 1 (SEPARATE_FIELDS).

AFAIK these do not use filter insertion etc to work.
Are these therefore handled at the decoder level, in which case:-

a: they will not benefit from doing things at the format level.

b: J2K will be an exception to the current way of doing things, which
could add confusion.

If they are not currently handled at the decoder level, the surely the
format level must already handle this material correctly so why is your
patch needed in this form?

--
Tim.
Key Fingerprint 38CF DB09 3ED0 F607 8B67 6CED 0C0B FC44 8B0B FC83