[FFmpeg-devel] Contributing to the project?

George Boyle george at thebuds.net
Wed Jun 10 17:26:49 CEST 2015

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to begin getting involved in
contributing to ffmpeg/libav*? I've been a big fan of the project for
years. I've been an observer on the mailing list, and have closely read
the guidelines on the website, so I have a fair idea of how the
development/review process works.

I am a software developer with 5 years experience, mostly in Java
(specifically web services, REST APIs among other things), but I do have
a reasonable knowledge of C as well. I have an interest in audio/video
codecs and formats, but little expertise and no experience in that area.
However, I am eager to work hard and learn quickly, with minimal
disruption, on any task that might be suitable.

I don't want to be a burden on people's time, as I know everyone is busy
and that you already engage in training and mentoring programs, but if
there were some low priority tasks or tests to be written that would
help me get my feet wet, I'd be very grateful to be pointed in that
direction. Alternatively, if there are other channels I should engage
with first, or upskilling I should do prior to contributing (e.g. a
particular area of the code to study), advice to that effect would be
very much appreciated too.

Thanks for your time, and best wishes,
George Boyle