[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]Don't use round when encoding png

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Mar 1 20:34:57 CET 2015

On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 07:57:56PM +0100, wm4 wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 19:48:20 +0100
> Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
>
> > Le primidi 11 ventôse, an CCXXIII, wm4 a écrit :
> > > I prefer the color of fuck broken platforms nobody uses.
> >
> > Well, obviously someone uses a platform where it makes a difference,
> > otherwise nobody would have noticed.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> If they really care, get them to fix the platform (as long as our use
> of the function is actually guaranteed by the standard).

the reason why it fails is probably that the code in pngenc.c tries
to write a double precission value by using AV_W* macros

this is a bad idea and likely not what the author intended

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact