[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC '15 Introduction

Ilinca Andrei andrei.ilinca24 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 19:24:16 CET 2015

       Hello!

       Short description:
       Full name : Andrei Ilinca
       IRC Handle: andrei_il / andrei__il
       Studies: Second year student at the Faculty of Automatic Control and
   Computer Science at the  Polytechnic Univ of Bucharest
       Github: https://github.com/ailinca

       I'll try to divide my introduction mail into two main parts:
   Background, why FFmpeg and why directshow digital video capture project.

       *Background*

       I'm Andrei, I'm a second year student at the Faculty of Automatic
   Control and Computer Science at the  Polytechnic Univ of Bucharest. This
   GSoC is my first opportunity to work with the open source community and I
   can say I'm thrilled!
        I have experience working with C and I enjoy coding using this
   language.C was my language of choice both for academic purposes and for
   coding challenges like talentbuddy <https://www.talentbuddy.co> and
   codingame <http://www.codingame.com>. Currently, I m exploring other
   areas as well, such as developing a standalone Java app that tracks how you
   spend money or some simple game in C++ and Qt. While programming is my
   carrer choice, math was always my passion. Since Primary School I attended
   contests and got rewarded Localy ,CityWide and National. I enjoy solving
   various smart mathematical problems with applications in all areas of
   research.

      * Why FFmpeg?*

       Why FFmpeg?  Honestly, I did not start looking for a project on this
   GSoC having the fixed FFmpeg org in mind, I was just looking for a C
   project. Because there are plenty orgs, with plenty projects and it's
   difficult to choose one, having no previous experience. On short, I landed
   on your project page more or less randomly. But I stayed. And here's why.
   FFmpeg development involves something that I've always considered
   interesting and that is encoding/decoding information. While I was on your
   website, I asked myself how is voice converted to digital, how does it
   happen, which lead me to this
   <http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/speech-recognition1.html>
   . All in all, I find all this interesting, a lot of new notions to me, but
   it's definetly somnething I would see myself enjoying working on throughout
   the summer.

       *Why directshow digital video capture ?*

       Simply because It sounds really interesting and entertaining. I have
   some experience using Matlab and Simulink for converting from time-domain
   to frequency-domain and back, Bode & Nyquist Diagrams and I have basic
   knowledge about how filters work and how they can be used and implemented.
   I've done some research about video capturing in DirectShow , mainly on this
   link
   <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd373406%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>,
   and I believe this project suits me the best.

       I got the git code base cloned and started reading and documenting
   about it.
       I would like to work on the qualification task for this project but
   I need some more informations about it. How should I proceed further?
       I'll be around on IRC quite a lot, but I'll get in touch more once I
   start working on something. If you have any feedback or criticism, please
   do, it's appreciated!

       Sorry for the long-ish mail! It really seems like an interesting
   project and something I'm very enthusiastic about.
       Regards,
       Andrei

  Hello! Short description: Full name : Andrei Ilinca IRC Handle: andrei_il
/ andrei__il Studies: Second year student at the Faculty of Automatic
Control and Computer Science at the Polytechnic Univ of Bucharest Github:
https://github.com/ailinca I'll try to divide my introduction mail into two
main parts: Background, why FFmpeg and why directshow digital video capture
project. Background I'm Andrei, I'm a second year student at the Faculty of
Automatic Control and Computer Science at the Polytechnic Univ of
Bucharest. This GSoC is my first opportunity to work with the open source
community and I can say I'm thrilled! I have experience working with C and
I enjoy coding using this language.C was my language of choice both for
academic purposes and for coding challenges like talentbuddy(linkuri) and
codingame(aici sa pui linkuri). Currently, I m exploring other areas as
[...]
the summer. Why directshow digital video capture ? Simply because It sounds
really interesting and entertaining. I have some experience using Matlab
and Simulink for converting from time-domain to frequency-domain and back,
Bode & Nyquist Diagrams and I have basic knowledge about how filters work
and how they can be used and implemented. I've done some research about
video capturing in DirectShow , mainy on this link, and I believe this