[FFmpeg-devel] H264 cleanup performance effects

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:07:09 CET 2015

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I hope FFmpeg doesn't value speed over clean code. (Oh who am I
> kidding, the worst abuse is ok if it makes it 1% faster!)

I think this is unfair. Your statements suggests:
- that the slowdown is a direct effect of making the code cleaner;
- that any speedup to undo such slowdowns would automatically lead to ugly
code again.

You have no evidence for either statement. Anton posted a double-digit
patchset, and although I'm sure the end result is cleaner (I have no
opinion), you'd need to figure out _which_ patch(es) made things slower and
_why_ (cosmetics? or unrelated?), before you can prove #1. All you have
right now is apples and pears. #2 is impossible to prove.

Ronald