[FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: GSoC: APNG

Donny Yang work at kota.moe
Tue Mar 24 00:02:21 CET 2015

On 24 March 2015 at 01:18, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> Either way, changes to libavcodec and libavformat should be in 2
> seperate patches

Okay, I've attached the separated patches.

> and your code changes output to normal .png files, that is every
> whatever.png is now a apng file, iam not sure this is what the user
> expects / wants

I realised this might have been a problem too.

However, I believe that when users want a normal PNG file out of ffmpeg
(i.e., individual frames), they would usually be appending `%03d` or
something similar, would that not be correct?
When I tested this, if the `%03d` was included, ffmpeg automatically
switched to PNG output mode, and when it was omitted, it was automatically
APNG.

Though, would it be a good idea to add a warning to the APNG muxer that
it's running in APNG mode rather than normal PNG, and how the user can
switch back (with `-f image2`)?